Thursday, August 6, 2015

I sometimes wonder how my head works.

So, for a few months now I've been promising myself that, if I have fewer cups of coffee during the week and save up my "pocket money", I can spend that money on a toy.

The toys I'm tossing up between buying include:

1. A plastic euphonium, valued at approximately $700 (incl. freight)
2. A folding bicycle (Strida) valued at approximate $700 (incl. freight)
(yes, the fact that both of these cost the same amount does make choosing between them difficult)
4. A travel ukulele, valued at approximately $400-$500 (depending on brand)

So, here I am, reminding myself at every stage that I can't just buy these things.  I must set aside money for them.  I must save for them.  They shall be my reward for spending wisely in other areas.

And then I go and buy a $400 pair of boots, just because I walked into a shop looking for a pair of shoes around the $200 mark, and these looked pretty.

Heck, I still bought the other boots!  I spent $650 on two pairs of shoes without thinking about it!  No saving up.  No careful consideration.  Just spending.

I didn't need a $400 pair of dress boots that, so far, I've only bothered to wear twice (I wear the "cheaper" boots all the time).

That money could have - nay, should have - been spent on a fun toy, not a pair of shiny shoes.

What is wrong with me?  Why are the different parts of my life so compartmentalised in my brain, that I can't register how silly it is to deny myself on one hand and splurge on the other, just because what I'm splurging on isn't something I usually regard as fun?

No comments:

Post a Comment