Monday, September 22, 2014

Little wheels

Okay, don't tell anyone this, but after all those deep and meaningful thoughts last week about freeing myself from the clutter of old unicycles, I just spent an hour I was supposed to be working on an assignment looking up reviews of the Strida.

Because, you know, you can never have too many bicycles - especially if they a) look like "art", and b) fold into compact packages.

Yes, I know, I was only recently drooling over the IF Mode, wondering if I could justify having that in my life.

The answer:  Sure, I don't see why not, but perhaps later.

Why would I want a Strida?  After all, I already own a Brompton, which does the folding bike thing, and a Micro scooter, which does the quick-short-range-don't-fuss-so-much-commute thing.

Well, to be honest, mostly because it looks like penny-farthing.

Okay, granted, it looks nothing like a penny-farthing - but it looks like it would steer and handle much like a penny-farthing.  The way the handle-bars are practically in your lap and your centre of gravity and steering axis are practically in the same place...

That's how penny-farthings ride.

All right, yes, I already own a PF as well, so I've kind of got that covered, too.

But I'd be able to take a Strida out more often and to more places than the PF, which would give me more practice steering the tall bike without worrying about the whole "technically illegal to ride on streets due to a lack of brakes" thing.

Plus, you know, you can never have too many bicycles...

  
Can you see it?

No comments:

Post a Comment