Monday, January 6, 2014

2013/2014, Pt1: Studies

Well, 2013 was a bit of a bust, in the end.  I deliberately bit off more than I could chew, just to see if I'd rise to the challenge.

A little bit yes, and a little bit no.

On reflection, I gave myself too much to do in the one year - which actually didn't work out as badly as it could have, all things considered.

I think, if I hadn't been stupid enough to take Education (with a capital E) subjects again (knowing, as I do, that I'm well shot of them), it wouldn't have gone to brown so badly towards the end.  The practicum was one straw too many - the kind of challenge that needed a lot more from me than I had left in the tank to give.  Without that, I probably would have survived my stupid workload after all.

This year I've resolved to scale back my insane plans and only take two subjects a semester instead of three.  In the end, I started to let my actual job slip down on my list of priorities, and I wasn't happy about that.  I know this means I'm going to have to keep studying for another trimester longer than I had planned, but that gives me the opportunity to take a subject that isn't offered in 2014.

2014 will see me return to a mode of study where no one gets hurt (except my pride) if it turns out I miscalculated what I can do.  I like it better when the worst that can happen is I scrape by with a Pass.

I'm also going to try to apply a few more of the Autonomous Learning practices I keep telling my students to use.  I think the only reason I did as well as I did last year was because I was being tactical about my studies.  This year, I'm going to try to build on that.  See if I can be just a little bit better.

No comments:

Post a Comment